day 180 {baking cookies}

Today was a sad day. The weather was miserable and I got some sad news after lunch. There are people in this world that you meet whether it's in person or over the phone or internet that you come to know very well. In this day and age it isn't uncommon to consider people friends even though you have never met them in person and they live halfway across the world.

I belong to an online community for one of my soap operas and I have come to know many of the ladies there very well and consider them like a second family. They are wonderful people and helped me to keep my sanity when I was home on maternity leave with little adult interaction.

Today I learned that one of those friends passed away today after a battle with cancer. Although I never met Donna, I came to know her as a beautiful person who was very giving and thoughtful. I remember mentioning once in passing that the boys were terrible sleepers. Donna read this and she contacted me letting me know about a great book she recommended I read. But rather than give me the name of the book, she went out and bought it and sent it to me. I couldn't believe it. I didn't know Donna very well and here she was spending her hard earned money on something that she knew I would find useful. She was a wonderful person and I feel very privileged to have known her. Rest in peace, Donna. xo

Here is my only picture of the day. I tried to cheer myself up by baking. Yes - me baking. I have grown to love baking since I had the boys. The thing is I enjoy making stuff but I rarely eat any of it. It's not that it's terrible - I just enjoy the creating much more than the eating. Now if those cookies were a Whopper combo with fries, it would be a different story. I'd be on them like a fat kid on a smartie. :)



That was it for today. Thanks for looking!

Comments

I wish my pictures look that yummy Jen .
I had to go get some cookies and milk when I saw that picture!
I send you a Big hug Jen
Jay
Sheri said…
Jen, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. It's so true that forming friendships over the interest is so easy these days. What a special friend she was to send you such a wonderful gift! {{HUGS}}
Rochelle said…
That is a wonderful story about Donna. I am heart broken over her passing. Isn't it amazing how much that board has changed out lives. I've met some of the greatest people because of it and losing Donna is like losing a friend I know face-to-face.

A friend of mine today said, "Earth has no pain that heaven cannot heal," and it was really comforting. It makes me feel happy that she no longer has to fight against her diseases.

But besides all that, those cookies look delicious!
Erika said…
I'm so sorry for your loss of a friend. Sometimes we are much closer to someone on the other side of the earth, than someone in the same room.

Those cookies looks yummy. I'm the other way around; couldn't care less for a fast food burger but show me a cookie and I jump. =)
SocRMum1 said…
Awww, Jen. What a lovely tribute to Donna. It was a very tough day yesterday - I feel as though I've lost a family member. We can only hope she had some idea of what a huge impact she had on so many of us. Your story about Donna sending the book sounds exactly like something she would do. And I remember well how dearly she loved you PBPs. No doubt she felt it was the least she could do in return.

As for the cookies...had I been around those yesterday it would have taken 10 of those fat kids to knock me out of the way. ;)

((hugs))
Sheri
listgirl said…
Oh Jennifer, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend Donna. I really hate cancer.

Your cookies look delicious. I would bake some, but my oven doesn't work yet.
Mari said…
I'm sorry to hear of your news. I know how close you can get with internet friends.
The cookies look great!
Anonymous said…
WOW you can bake and not eat it!! Good for you ;-) Sorry to hear about your friend. I think its special that we can connect with someone and become friends without even meeting one another. ;-)