day 67 - portuguese pancakes

I am very lucky. For 22 years of my life, my grandmother lived practically around the corner from me. She always made me my favourite foods and as I got older I got to bake with her. When she died, it was very important to me to learn how to make some of her recipes on my own.

Four and a half years later I've pretty much mastered the homemade bread. Sure I've flopped a batch here and there, but for the most part it's been a success.

My latest challenge was Portuguese pancakes. I've made them with my grandmother and I've made them with my mom, but this was my first attempt all on my own.

There were moments of brilliance and there were moments of sheer stupidity. For example, "put six eggs in one at a time" doesn't mean crack them and throw them in one after the other. It means crack one, mix it. Crack one, mix it. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I didn't crash and burn. Apparently this recipe is fool proof.



At the end of the day, the consensus was that they were pretty damn close to the ones my grandmother made. They will never be bang on because she was the master, but they are close enough for me.

Comments

Amanda Pfeifer said…
Are the pancakes just a recipe, or was your grandmother Portugese? Mine is, and has moved back to live in Pico, Azores, and I have tried to make all her recipes.. it's never quite as good. But when I make her recipes, it is still good, cause it tastes full of memories :)
Anonymous said…
"Not the sharpest knife in the drawer"...lol. That made me laugh.
I love how you immortalized the recipe with a photo!
Trish ~ ♥ ~ said…
how wonderful you were able to spend lots of time with your grandmother and shared her interest in cooking

I made lemon poppy pancakes for dinner this evening. They were good. But yours sound yummy!