More info on my archiving process

Well I am glad that my post on archiving was helpful (thanks for the feedback, Sheri and Mel!). Here is some more information and I hope it is helpful.

Here is my file structure on my hard drive/external drive/DVDs (click to see it clearly). My filing became a bit more complicated once the twins arrived. (Folders containing pictures of both of them include a quick description of what each of them is wearing so there isn't any confusion as to who is who down the road.)



My master CD binder with all of my disks. Each volume is backed up on the external drive, a disk is burned and placed in this binder, an additional 3 copies are burned for my kids and then the folder is deleted off my C drive...



These are the CD/DVD sleeves that I use. A pack of 50 is $2.49 from Wal Mart. The Wal Mart I go to sells them in the checkout aisles...



As far as the labels go - I call them labels, but really they are just printed on photo paper. The labels that go in my binder are 4.75" x 4.75" and the labels I put on my paper sleeves are 4" x 4". With these sizes I can either print 2-up of the 4.75" size, or I can print one 4.75" label and two 4" labels up on a sheet or if I am catching up on a few volumes at a time, I print four up of the 4" labels. Once printed, I cut them down. The 4.75" just slides into the clear pocket of my binder and for the 4" size, I use a glue runner to stick the label down over the window on my coloured DVD sleeves.

I find that this process keeps all of my stuff clearly labeled and it keeps me organized. I am very paranoid I will lose everything should a virus rip through my computer. As I post this I am getting organized to archive another volume of pictures as earlier today I got the mysterious yet very scary "blue screen of death"...

Thanks for reading!

Comments

Sheri said…
Thanks for posting all the detailed info! I haven't had a chance to really get started, but when I do I know what to do :) Thanks so much!